Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: Billy Ward Lessons?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member matricks's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 2002
    Posts
    986
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    Billy Ward is going to be offering some lessons up here, during his clinic tour. My question is, what is your idea of what you would be willing to pay for a lesson with him? He is charging $100 per hour, and that is more than i have paid for lessons with Chapin and Rosenblatt. They each were, i believe, $50 an hour. I know for a fact Jim was because i have studied with him a few times... Joel may have been between $60-$80... not sure.

    Anyways, Billy is such a unique player and has alot of offer, i am sure. I have taken a master class with him before and it was truly a great experience. However, $100 for an hour of the man's time... what are your thoughts?

    I know guys like Weckl and Thomas probably charge upwards of $200 or so. Billy, in my opinion, is to groove and uniqueness, what Thomas and Dave are to chops in a "technical" realm.

    I would usually drop $100 in the blink of an eye for lessons with him, but after losing some hours at my job and the holidays just having past, i have to think this one over (unfortunately).

    Any thoughts?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Kris Castillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 2nd, 2004
    Posts
    13
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey,

    I think it is a little too much, but back in the day I did pay the $100, the difference was what he showed me was not on DVD yet. Now, his DVD covers everything he would teach in a private lesson. Get his DVD, and you will have more information than in an hour long lesson.

    This is my opinion anyway.

    Keep the Groove Happening!

  3. #3
    Inactive Member matricks's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 2002
    Posts
    986
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    How much did he offer you in the way of really analyzing what you were doing and really offering some concrete things to work on? I wouldn't really want to leave the lesson with an abstract concept bouncing around in my head of what i need to work on, leaving my more confused that before i walked in! I function better when someone says, "Hey, ok, see that, you should really work on this... maybe this suggestion will work."

    I know Billy focuses alot on abstract ideas, which is great and i love it, but when it comes to private lessons... i would want someone to really take my playing and offer my a bit of both, concrete suggestions and maybe some abstract Zen [img]tongue.gif[/img] ... if you will [img]wink.gif[/img]

  4. #4
    HB Forum Owner Steve Holmes's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2001
    Posts
    1,243
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ward is insane to be charging that much.

    Look. He has a DVD out with extensive info about his approach. Secondly and most importantly, it's not that I dont think he has anything to offer, but I do think that what makes Billy special can't be taught.
    He's a fantastic player but I think the Ward hype outweighs the Ward.

    This is another post where I think I'm being a dick but I am being honest. It's a conflict of interest sometimes.
    Honesty VS Soical Discretion. ROUND ONE. FIGHT!

  5. #5
    Inactive Member matricks's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 2002
    Posts
    986
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Look. He has a DVD out with extensive info about his approach. Secondly and most importantly, it's not that I dont think he has anything to offer, but I do think that what makes Billy special can't be taught.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That is very, very true... that is what makes me wonder about lessons with him, if that 'thing' he has can really be taught... and if some of this approach COULD be taught, i would guess it would mean many, many sessions with the guy over a couple/few years, not one hour.

    It is very tantalizing to think of getting lessons with a player that i dig... however, i don't know how changed one could be after an hour, especially the type of things i am sure he is going to be teaching... those are osmosis-type things/wisdom things, not, "hey, we only have an hour so check this out" type-of-stuff.

    With a player of Billy's depth, i just wonder what i could get out of an hour... i wonder how much of it could truly sink in that amount of time. [img]confused.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ January 18, 2005 10:02 AM: Message edited by: matricks ]</font>

  6. #6
    Inactive Member CLWarunki's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 21st, 2004
    Posts
    1,475
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I AGREE - Billy will not be able to teach you anything ontop of what has been covered in his DVD... what makes him unique can not be taught, true.

    The $100 is for his name. I would pay that price for a TOP technician like Mayer, Virgil or Lang, but not Ward.

    P.S. matricks... when will Ward be in Seattle!?

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ January 16, 2005 04:50 AM: Message edited by: CLWarunki ]</font>

  7. #7
    Inactive Member PocketPlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 20th, 2002
    Posts
    1,462
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I know Billy is doing a West coast clinic tour--not too many dates. If you live in an area that does not offer many clinic or private lesson opportunities--it's worth it...even if it may seem a bit over priced.

    I think we'd all be surprised how our local colleges probably offer us great players and far cheaper lessons.

    Living in LA is NOT normal musically. I recently found out my favorite drummer from my high school years lives only miles away from me. I Emailed him and he said he'd give me a lesson. I'll probably do it just to see the guy--early impressions run deep.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ January 16, 2005 09:35 PM: Message edited by: PocketPlayer ]</font>

  8. #8
    Inactive Member PocketPlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 20th, 2002
    Posts
    1,462
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    BW Clinic Dates

    30 JAN 2005
    Lemmon Percussion
    1427 The Alameda
    San Jose, California 95126
    phone: 408/286-9150
    Clinic Time: 6:00 pm
    (with masterclass/lessons on 31 JAN 05)

    02 FEB 2005
    American Music
    4450 Fremont Avenue North Suite 100
    Seattle, WA 98103
    phone: 206/633-1774
    Clinic Time: 7:00 pm
    (with possible masterclass/lessons on FEB 5, '05. Call the store for details)

    03 FEB 2005
    Donn Bennett Drum Studio
    13212 Northeast 16th Suite 7
    Bellevue, WA 98005
    phone: 425/747-6145
    Clinic Time: 7:00 pm
    (with masterclass/lessons on FEB 4, '05)


    07 FEB 2005
    Hi-5 Music
    530 Northeast Garden Valley Boulevard
    Roseburg, OR 97470
    phone: 541/492-8533
    clinic time: 7:00 pm

    10 FEB 2005
    Musician?s Institute
    1655 North McCadden Place
    Hollywood, CA 90028
    phone: 323/860-1142
    Clinic Time: 12:00 pm

    12 FEB 2005
    Rhythm House Music
    652 Stevens Avenue
    Solana Beach, CA 92075
    phone: 858/481-3069
    clinic time: 1:00 pm

  9. #9
    Inactive Member matricks's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 2002
    Posts
    986
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yeah:
    02 FEB 2005
    American Music
    4450 Fremont Avenue North Suite 100
    Seattle, WA 98103
    phone: 206/633-1774
    Clinic Time: 7:00 pm
    (with possible masterclass/lessons on FEB 5, '05. Call the store for details)

    03 FEB 2005
    Donn Bennett Drum Studio
    13212 Northeast 16th Suite 7
    Bellevue, WA 98005
    phone: 425/747-6145
    Clinic Time: 7:00 pm
    (with masterclass/lessons on FEB 4, '05)
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">However, the American Music Store clinic will be at the Seattle Drum School, 206-364-8815.

    So Billy is basically doing two clinics in Seattle... [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

  10. #10
    Daniel LeClaire
    Guest Daniel LeClaire's Avatar

    Post

    You'll probably just spend that $100 on something stupid anyway. Might as well get a drum lesson out of it. [img]wink.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •